Sunday, April 5, 2015

★★★—Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover


"When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.
" (Goodreads)


My Review:
★★★

I got through this book very quickly. It was my first taste into New Adult (I think it's New Adult? Or is it just Adult? I think it's pretty close to just flat-out adult...) I liked it, enough to where I was curious enough about where this story was going to not be able to put it down until 315am. And I was crying around 245am. Thanks, Colleen.

That said...

After thinking about it after I finished it, I realized there was literally one thing carrying this novel forward. Miles. I was so curious about his past and what happened to him to fuck him up so badly, and as his POV chapters progressed, I kept making guesses. I kept making guesses and my guesses were almost all wrong. Which is a good thing. Miles was one of the most sympathetic characters in this book—scratch that, the most. (Rachel counts... but she kind of doesn't count because she doesn't come in until a lot later)

So, Miles sees Tate and accidentally falls in love/has an attraction toward her because... she's hot? I guess? This guy doesn't even know her at all. And Tate returns the attraction because... he's hot? And she hasn't gotten laid in a while? Meh. Whatever. Book is book.

Tate is really not a memorable character. She may be the protagonist, but she's kind of bland and a bit boring, and only exists for the 'romance'. She has no social life, and I barely remember what she looks like. She's not the protagonist, really. Ugly Love is a character study of Miles Archer. He has an arc. Tate does not. She exists to unravel Miles, and she doesn't even do that. His backstory does. I didn't find myself rooting for Tate, and that's sad. Because I feel like she had potential.

I kind of liked Cap? I don't have much to say about him. He's like Cap Ex Machina. And then there's Ian, who's barely there. And Dillon, who really serves no purpose. And right, there's Corbin.

I also feel like the back of the book gave me conflicting expectations. I expected them to be friends with benefits, and then gradually both of them get feelings for each other. But Tate had feelings for him right off the back because... he's hot? And mysterious? Whatever. It was really obvious from the beginning that Miles is in love with Tate (for some reason) but for some reason doesn't want love in his life. But he sure doesn't act like it. The first time they're together, it's obvious to everyone he fell in love with her. When they're together, he acts like she's a girlfriend, not just a fuckbuddy. It's like... bro, who are you kidding? AND after six years of NO action at all, he's excellent? I mean, great, but... I'm not really buying it.

Also... The sex. It's not that graphic (thank god) but... So. Much. Sex. Like, almost every page. I mean, granted, this genre is NOT what I'm used to, but wow is there really that much in these kinds of novels? It got uncomfortable for me after a while. I was thinking "Do you people do anything else besides fuck?" I found myself impatiently waiting for Miles' flashback chapters. Because those were far more interesting than what was going on in the present day.

All in all... A quick, easy read (if not uncomfortable at times). Miles' story is heartbreaking, but his is the only one that is. I felt no sympathy for/I did not care at all about Tate.

Is Ugly Love a perfect novel? Far from it. But it was ok. I liked it. Glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment