Sunday, October 26, 2014

★★★★★—The Young Elites by Marie Lu

"I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen.

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.


It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt." (Goodreads) (Read from October 10-12, 2014. Reviewed October 26, 2014.)


My Review
★★★★★

It's not every day you read a story about the inception of a villain.

This book... This book made me so happy. By which, I mean, it was well written—like the Legend Trilogy was—and it has a really kickass protagonist.

But Adelina Amouterou deserves so much better from her life. It's about time she takes from life what life denied her. You go girl. Kick some ass.

So, obviously, I loved Adelina (White Wolf) and I feel so much sympathy for her and her plights. I think I've been on tumblr too much, because I was thinking to myself "Aw, yeah, she's a girl, she's only got one eye, yes protagonists who have scars and wounds that potentially detract from their appearance!" She evolves, over the course of one book, from a scared little girl to an extremely powerful and downright scary magician. Four for you, Adelina. You go, Adelina. I'm so excited to see the power you can wield and the kind of villain you can become. I want her to succeed, which I suppose is the point. I want her to be at least remotely happy.

Violetta... Mixed emotions, which is fine. When it said Violetta wasn't marked by the fever, I didn't actually believe she was actually "unmarked." I knew there had to be something special about her. And I was right. Go Violetta!

Teren. At first, I said to myself, "Teren can go fuck himself." But he's... complicated. Teren is very, shall I say, fucked up in the head? Just a tad? But as the book goes on, he shows, underneath, that there's possibly a sliver of something maybe an inkling of goodness potentially? I'm thinking that if Adelina is slowly forming into a villain, then Teren could possibly turn into the "hero" role? It's entirely possible. But he's got some redeeming to do for himself.

Enzo's sister can go die. That's all I have to say.

And Enzo (Reaper)... **SPOILER** [God, I hope his death isn't permanent.] I liked Enzo a lot. He's a ruthless kind of guy with a bit of a tender side for Tamouran girls. And you know what, everyone has their 'type.' The fact that he could be gentle was appealing. His ferocity comes from intense care for his people, which is just heartwarming. I like Enzo. A lot. Long live the prince. *sniffles*

Raffaele (Messenger) I have mixed feelings about him too. I liked him towards the beginning, then I disliked him, then I liked him again, then I didn't like him much. I mean, towards the beginning, yeah, I get it. This girl has darkness in her heart, we shouldn't take her on. Killing her is a bit extreme, but I understand his point. And towards the end, when he tells her **SPOILER** [Yeah, I told Enzo to kill you at the start. But did he listen to me? Nooooooo.] I thought it was a bit of a dick move. Other than that, he was endearing and charming. He truly is a great character. Very complex.

Dante (Spider) (Son of a bitch). That is all. You little shit. **SPOILER** [I'm glad you're dead you antagonistic fuck.]

Lucent (Windwalker) (admittedly I had to look up her first name) I hope she and Gemma (Star Thief) become more important. They have the potential to be amazing. Gemma's awesome already. Windwalker is a bit tough to handle, but I like her well enough.

All in all, great book. Marie Lu does it again. I am eagerly awaiting the next one with bated breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment